Thursday, February 9, 2012

Our Background Attitude

Shadow of prayer flags on the car dashboard


The paper prayer flags hanging from the car mirror
The above photos are a couple of my "contemplative photography" attempts. It was a great opportunity to practice "just seeing" on our ferry trip last weekend. My trip to the big city including lots of opportunity to fill my eyes with colour and texture and shape and fill my heart with visits with dear friends, a little trip to the theatre to fill the art well and a trip to the artstore for some coloured inks.

Today I am back home and back to routine which includes my morning sit. Before we sit in the morning we've been playing one of Gil Frosdhal's "Practice Notes".  They're only 2 or 3 minutes long and it's kind of a nice orientation for the sit and for the day.  This morning we played the one on looking at your background attitude.  When we sat a week's retreat with Gil in the summer this was one of the revealing things for me, to look at my back ground attitude.  It gave me the opportunity to work with a lot of the fear that swims around tadpole like, just below the surface.  Today when I looked I could see my desire to perfection, to get things done right, even (eek) to have the right attitude!

So here's Gil's invitation to examine our background attitude. You might find surprising things on this mini-excavation.
Mini Alter I made for a friend


Matchbox Alter I made for friends going on a trip (little scroll is the Scripture of Great Wisdom (Heart Sutra))

19 comments:

  1. You have snow drops in your background! I love Gil Fronsdal's teachings. Thanks for the link and the insight to the way that background attitude can muddy up the practice.

    Lynette Genju

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there are snow drops out, it's true. Did that paper on the little altars look familiar?

      Delete
    2. LOL! It does! It does! Probably arrived from some mysterious far-away place, eh?

      Are you finding the David Whyte readings from YouTube or somewhere? Curious minds want to know!

      Delete
  2. Love the contemplative photos - esp the shadow one... Which fits nicely with the "background attitude" theme: the "shadows" that are still lurking. I have recently realized there are still many in my background... :)

    Love that you are having fun, and creatively experimenting. Gives me encouragement to do the same, including shining a light on these shadow aspects of fear that still lurk...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny. After I'd written the post I realized that the shadow picture was fitting. I love when that happens.

      Yeah, that background attitude is a big one for me.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the link to Gil Fronsdal's practice notes. I love his talks. I've been enjoying his podcasts in my studio while I paint, for a while now. The sound of his voice is so kind, so patient and comforting.

    Background attitudes... fun to explore... what makes what is found there good or bad?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something so gentle and open about Gil's presence. He was just as delightful in person!

      I've been listening to David Whyte sometimes while I paint, lately.

      Delete
  4. glad you had a refreshing trip. the matchbox altar is a great idea! thanks for the link too. nice voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Suki. I've been saving those matchboxes and when someone gave me some Japanese paper I knew there was a "match" there!

      I think you might like Gil.

      Delete
  5. BEAUTIFUL photos, Carole--the top one has such grace, elegance and mystery! Those altars are wonderful...lovely idea. And thank you for Fronsdal's link...going back to listen again. And David Whyte to listen to while painting--I like that idea too, I love his poetry. :o) Happy Days ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, Tracy. The nice thing about Gil's site is there are short talks as well as longer ones.

      There is something lovely about hearing one creative spirit speak as we work creatively. Hugs to you!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. It was a fun, sit in front of the fire project. And perfect for friends going on a little trip. Do I see one in your future??

      Delete
    2. There is definitely one in MY future! Thank you for all the inspiration here. . .

      Delete
    3. I think you will have a lot of fun with it! Love to see your's when it's done.

      Delete
    4. A version of my traveling matchbox altar is finished (and in my suitcase now!); photos posted for you. ;-)

      Delete
  7. Are you familiar with U Tejaniya? He is very big on this. Which attitude am I bringing to practice?

    I also get a lot of mileage from paying attention to vedana! Just naming, 'unpleasant', has made a big difference in how I am able to be with each moment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have not explored any writings by U Tejaniya. I know him by name. I will have to check him out as I find this helpful, lots to explore here. Yes, just bringing that awareness of what we regard as unpleasant! I can see how this would be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely way to view your photography.. in each moment that you find your image.

    ReplyDelete