Saturday, November 27, 2010

Technology As Practice


Technology and I have never been the best of friends. And it is said that your enemies (a bit strong perhaps??) are your teachers. I finally succumbed to several suggestions that facebook might not be a bad thing to do. A little social media marketing. I am slowly being dragged into the 21st century (kicking and screaming a bit). So there we are technology and I staring each other down.

It seems I can speak blogger but trying to manouver facebook is a bit like someone speaking to me in tongues. I mostly just don't get it. But hey I have waded neck high into this puddle and the stubborn part of me is not leaving the pond, til I at least learn how to paddle around a bit.

So technology as practice brings up my impatience. I just want to get this done! I don't want to read all this stuff. I just want it to work. I was surprised when I first read that impatience is a form of anger. But if you look at it carefully you see the truth in this. It has the sentiment of I want this my way and I want it now! So when importing my blog feed to fb didn't work, impatience stopped by for a visit. How do you deal with impatience?? This is when we start to learn about this little thing we call ourselves, our habitual tendencies, our karmic inclinations. Mostly I want someone to help me out here. And I'm onto it like a dog with a bone, dragging it everywhere.

We could throw in a little dollop of the 5 hindrances. My tangle with technobusiness shows me my laziness. Some people will buckle down and study up. Me, I will thrash around on google a bit but I don't want to put in a whole lot of concerted effort.

And so it goes. I have gone away for a few days and now returned to try again. Now that is a reasonable way for dealing with frustrating situations. This is a test post. As always we can regard situations we encounter as a test. A test of our practice, of our progress. For what is it that really matters, is how we behave out in the world. This is what shows us where our practice really lies, what needs refinement, or where we need to shine the light of attention. Where's your test post?

10 comments:

  1. What came to me when reading your post, was not anger, but clinging. Wanting it other than it is. Not liking not having the fb, or whatever lollipop we want NOW.

    So many little moments, ripe for big teaching. Life as a householder is full of those. We might as well harvest them for all their inherent wisdom :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, "wanting it other than it is", that's it!

    Ah, it's a bountiful harvest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand this so well...I am a thrasher when it comes to tech stuff too...and I do think walking away, taking a break and returning a bit more relaxed is an excellent way to allow the frustration/anger to settle...it can get wound so tightly around me at times...I start muttering unkind words toward the software...now how silly is that??? Yes a break and then a gentle return. Good luck in the muck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops - sorry 'bout that. Stepped away from it, reconsidered it and changed my mind :) I don't deal well with the frustrations of technology either... Hope you can find someone to help :)
    Humbly - Christine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura - I have been known to mutter! Yes it is all about recognizing the frustration, finding ways of dealing with it (skillful means) and finally letting it go. Small things, but good places to change our habitual tendencies. And yes to seeing the silliness of our reactions!

    MeANderi - Now there's going away and thinking deeply about something. And that is an important point in practice, don't you think. And well, the test post did not publish to face book! So indeed I will need help.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, important sometimes to practice not writing the first thing that comes to mind :) I think it's called "right speech" :) lol... Wish I could help.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Although, it's been a bumpy ride for you, I'm glad to see you've made it to facebook.

    Anger and Clinging .... those are good words to describe impatience. I'll have to remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wise words: "what is it that really matters, is how we behave out in the world"

    OK...now I have to go friend you on FB ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can relate to everything you have said.I have a Facebook account only at the invitation of others to be their friend. I've done nothing with mine and I guess that is foolish. But like you, I don't deal with these things very well. It took me forever to learn the basics of Photoshop which I love! Maybe I'll learn to love Facebook. I will send you an invite to be my friend [O)

    ReplyDelete