Saturday, January 21, 2012

Painting As Social Activity?

I started this little abstract at a painter's group I went to last Friday.  I was invited to join a little group at the community hall near where I live.  It's not a class, no instructor.  But painting as a group activity?  I couldn't quite imagine it.  To me it seems a solitary process. I usually scratch and scrape and wipe paint on and off.  I sit and look. Scrape some more. It's a messy, bumbling kind of process and often I haven't much to show for it at the end of the day.  It made me chuckle really, what would I take, what would I work on. I imagined myself looking a bit like a mad person with my sand paper and filthy paint rag, hands a moldy shade of green.

My little ego would have been happy to stay home, so in direct contravention to it's self protective desires I packed up a little box, secured it with a bungey chord and headed for the hall. I took a book I'd picked up on painting abstracts by Rolina van Vliet (Painting Abstracts) and some canvas paper that I ripped into small squares. I took some sunflower seed pate (not for rubbing on the canvas) but for the eat, drink and be merry part of the afternoon that happens before the paint comes out.  At a certain point in the afternoon, chatting naturally subsided and everyone worked. It was interesting to be in silence in a group of people (not sitting meditation). Occasionally  someone would ask for input. It was a relaxed, supportive atmosphere, comfortable and pleasant. After 3 hours I had two tiny paintings to finish up in front of the fire the next evening. I am happy to report that snacks were tasty and the company convivial. One aspect of the group is social but also members seem to appreciate that mapped out time to sit down and work, no house tidying or avoidance activity.

As you can see from this second little paint creature I'm still street fighting with composition but I attach hope to Malcolm Gladwell's idea that it takes 10,000 hours to master a skill. And I've got a lot of hours left!  A couple of weeks ago I found two second hand books Rolina VanVliet on abstract painting, a great score for $15.  There are lots of exercises for exploring materials and composition.  I like the composition exercises best, and sometimes it's just nice to come at something from another angle.  Jeane over at Art It has a great post on how she reconstructs a painting she's not happy with.  I love the way she continually turns the canvas.  Why didn't I think of that? Always new things to learn!  That's what makes me jump out of bed in the morning!

More on the painting front-- Last week I received a 2 1/2 hr video of Peter London painting.  My daughter and I poured a glass of wine (each, no sharing!) and sat down to watch.  The video appealed to the voyeur that lurks in all of us.  Have you ever wished you could just watch an artist paint and hear their thoughts as they work, that it might offer some clues or just satisfy some curiosity? To  this end, Henry Ganzler filmed London from start to finish as he creates a painting. For me the video fulfilled the wish to be  the fly on the studio wall. It was fun to watch his calm approach to the whole process, his reverence for his materials, his measured way of working and his personal, quirky way of using materials.  I felt the long hours of his studio work in the confident way he approached the whole process. He talked about where his idea for the work came from and it was great to see how he made his choices at different turning points along the way.  When he encountered "a problem area" that he said was going to "come back to haunt him", it was so interesting to see how he approached it.  He didn't ruminate on it, like I do.  He didn't rush in to try and "fix" it.  He worked another part of the paper and came back to it later.  He appeared to have faith that there would be a successful resolution to the "problem" area.  He took a break when he was tired which seems like a no brainer, but I often keep working, hoping to resolve some paint issue and get myself in trouble. He talked about not doing the predictable "cute" thing on the paper which is important in keeping the element of surprise and freshness in our work. I often find that my urge to create balance and harmony can create predictability and a boring end result. It was great to just see someone with years of experience at work.  You don't get this in a class, where someone is instructing and talking, not just working at their own craft.  Undoubtedly I will watch it a number of times and new things will pop out for me each time.

And what of the schedule I wrote about in early January?  Gone the way of large prehistoric creatures or tired new year's resolutions? Not really, but it has evolved.  It started with blocks of time alloted to certain activities.  It had 2 work periods and an exercise time as it's main components.   The schedule and I have adapted to each other.  I think someone in the discussion of schedules on the earlier blog post said, "it's really about intention." I think that "intention" is more like what I have ended up with than a schedule.  The schedule has I been thrown in a pot and boiled down to it's essential ingredients which seem quite tasty and nourishing and it has been energizing and rewarding for me.  It has evolved into  4 hrs of work each day (writing and/or painting).  This seems comfortable and possible.  It's the exercise that has eluded me, that requires some tweaking.  But I find I am getting more work done that I have for a long time.  It is partly the season which hold no garden work, but it is definitely the intention and the awareness of that intention that the "schedule" has given me.

So happy creating to you in this season of indoor time!  May your intentions manifest and bring you joy!

22 comments:

  1. Hi Carole,
    I miss the little painting group which met on Wed. nights at one of the artist's studio. We'd drink tea and chat for a bit an then off to the easels for a couple of hours or more. Usually we had music playing and sometimes we be bopping along with it or so deep into our paintings we'd completely forget the cd was on it's 3rd time around. Most of my painting time is solo so painting with a group of women was a very new experience for me. One that I will have to look into finding again.
    Happy painting to you.
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been missing you. Glad you're back. I'm liking your new abstracts quite a lot, too! As for social painting-- I can't do that. And I'm wondering if that's some neurotic mess of mine!? Maybe it's selfish. I just want my painting time all to myself. But I do enjoy sharing food and art discussion. The London video sounds intriguing! Where to find?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The word schedule made my ears perk up! I hate the schedule, I love the schedule, I need the schedule...wait, do I need the schedule?

    In zen temples, "follow the schedule" is the thing we do, accept when we don't, and holy crap, the guilt! In the last 6 months I've missed one morning of zazen (we sit 6 days a week) and I can't tell you why I feel so...betrayed! I was sick.

    I see the point of our schedule and understand our container to practice in. But I'm attracted to this "intention"!

    I just know there is equal merit in wandering through a day!

    These are by no means complete thoughts...just wanted to vent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carole - sounds like yours was a happy group painting experience. Sounds like your ready to gather another group?

    Kris - I've been busy with my schedule! ha! yeah, I'm a bit of a solitary soul so it's definitely a stretch to social painting. I think it will be a very different kind of painting than I will do on my own. Yeah, it's fun to talk art and have a sip of this or that with kindred spirits. The London video is available via the link in my blog or directly on Peter's site (PeterLondon.com) How did you find the book?

    Pigasus - love your name and image! see from your blog you are off to Green Gulch soon. Nice. Yes, it's the not too tight, not too loose idea of schedule. Too far in either direction doesn't work and yet sometimes we need to go too far to find that out, don't you think? And I think we each have our natural inclination to tightness or looseness which we are always working with. Me, I needed to tighten this up a bit. Thanks for stopping by and "venting" :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - you are on a roll! - jumping out of bed in the morning!? I'll have a slice of what you're having. :) And am glad you are finding a naturally evolving routine that works for you! Maybe you can find time to wander in the woods at twilight. It's totally enlivening and inspirational, and good exercise as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mystic - maybe that needs to be part of my exercise program! Brilliant. Because often it's quite late when I finish up painting. I need to have a walk round the pond. Haven't heard owls around here in a while though. Need to brush up on my birding as some birder friends are coming from Alberta for a visit in March.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes, sounds like an organic scheduel has evolved. four hours a day for artwork is great. i would certainly count a walk as exercise.

    the peter london video sounds interesting and inspiring. i feel we artists/writers need that sort of thing now and again.

    and to find a group to paint with. i would love that, more for the socialization part with folks who like what i like than anything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. suki - yeah, it seems like a good evolution. weekends more free form but still with time for creating.

      we do need things to recharge and reorient our process sometimes.

      I could totally see you loving a paint/writing group. any leads in your neighbourhood?? any place to post a little note to gather participants??

      Delete
  8. how refreshing this idea of cooking up a schedule that works for you. like a good soup or stew, it takes some serious simmering to get it just right. how great that you got it to a point that nourishes and pleases you!

    i love the sound of the peter london video. great to watch other artist at their work. have you watched any of the pbs art 21 series?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello anca - it does feel good to make some changes! no I haven't seen this pbs series, I will have to google it and see if I can find it online (no tv) but I like the sound of that.

      Delete
  9. Wonderful work, Carole! I really like the idea of time set aside to work with and interact with others, not necessarily a class as such. Glad you found this a great opportunity is so many ways, and not least the steps to climb out of one's own safe little box. ;o) I can't wait to see that video--off to go see--thanks for sharing! Happy Week ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracy - It will be interesting to see how "social painting" evolves for me. I imagine I will get more comfortable with it but your so right about climbing out of the box -worth it just for that! Happy week to you, my friend!

      Delete
  10. What a beautiful process... about process! I'm always inspired by the lessons you give us on looking deeply and seeing clearly. Interestingly, I've been thinking (too much) about getting some canvas sheets and spreading my fledgling wings across them. Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  11. good morning Lynette - yes, yes, out with the canvas. in his video Peter worked very large and it was interesting to see how much the body moved ( a little workout, ah exercise and painting all at once!!) I look forward to hearing/seeing how that goes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. http://brushmind.net/onestroke.html

    Kaz Tanahashi's big body paintings

    my first sumi-e teacher taught brush painting as body, breath & brush. Thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I certainly understand this "dance" with a painting's surface that's so much a challenge for me too. I've come to the conclusion that losing the fear of "destroying" what "works" to get to what "does" (like Jeanne on ArtIt) means losing the fear. She is fearless! It must just take LOTS of work! "FEAR" . . it's a four letter word! Love the top image!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Jann- it's true, Jeane is fearless and we can see how all her work and fearlessness pays off in her amazing pieces. loved your image over at Layers post!

      Delete
  14. Oh, Carole, so much to think about here, but the 10,000 hours to mastery got me thinking that after all these years I must be a master at something! Several years ago I had the great privilege to attend a workshop with Peter London and his tutelage brought me to tears.....as I worked a drawing WAY beyond what I would have that session....and as a result uncovered a part of myself I would normally have hidden....I look forward to seeing this video......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to meet you "over the rainbow"! I did one of Peter's "creative encounters" last night on my own and after watching him in his video I can imagine that his workshops would be transformative. Lucky you!

      Delete
  15. Love the beginning...love the middle and love the end of this post...the little abstracts are mystically evocative of some deep and quiet space...I love the earthiness of each...

    Peter London video, wine and your offspring sharing the vibe...sounds like a holiday to me...

    Like 'Over the Rainbow' the time I had with Peter London and the group at his workshop and the amazingly magnificent fact that he allowed me to whisk him off at days end to visit my studio in the old high security lock-up psyche ward was simply stunning...he's a marvelously balanced being.

    Metta

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, Iona! Yes this is my sense of him as very balanced. a lovely inspiring soul!

    ReplyDelete