Friday, December 21, 2012

Plowing The Neural Pathways and Opening The Heart

Continents of the Heart 24"x 24" oil, cold wax, earth pigments
I don't really have much to add to the general conversation out there so I've been tending the fire and making cookies and being quiet. There's lots to make our heads spin these days, lots to sink our worrying minds and sharp teeth into: abuses of power in places we think it shouldn't exist, guns, apocalypses of one sort or another, holiday madness or gladness, depending on how you slice it.  Lots to leave us wracked and soaked and bitter and curdled (hm sounding a bit like my Christmas pudding)

In the end, for me, it's all about how it settles in the heart.  What trails and paths are etched there in the neural backroads of my brain? What journey do I choose wittingly or out of habit? Do I retrace the slippery old paths of anger and disgust, contempt and self righteousness? Or do I slip of down a green trail into the forest to nurture my heart, wondering what I can add to the world?

A quote by Ethan Nichtern reminds me of which trail to take when I come to a fork in the road: "Setting clear intentions is so important. Most of the time, we get stuck, not because we have bad intentions, but because we just have no idea what our intentions actually are."

I've been liking this "shift thing" that's going on out there. I'm liking the picture of indigenous people showing the "civilized world" how to save the planet and regain a sane relationship to it. Don't laugh, stranger things have happened and you've been watching them courtesy of the media.  I've been watching some of the goings on down in South America and listening to people like Bruce Lipton and Tom Campbell who make the scientific leap that it's all about love, that the mind is a powerful tool for healing, that energy is real and this world is a place of great beauty and mystery.  Yeah, you might think it sounds like I've fallen on my head, but sometimes that's what it takes to knock out the old to make room for the new.

The Heart of Winter 12"x12" oil, cold wax, earth pigments
And seeing as it's gift giving time here in the western world, here's a quote from Dzigar Kongtrul Rinpoche that seems like it would be a great gift to ourselves, our loved ones, and the planet.  New world, new gifts, right?  Take back that toaster, return that  fuzzy sweater.  Instead how about this, no wrapping required, satisfaction guaranteed?  "Imagine craving absolutely nothing from the world. Imagine cutting the invisible strings that so painfully bind us: what would that be like? Imagine the freedoms that come from the ability to enjoy things without having to acquire them, own them, possess them. Try to envision a relationship based on acceptance and genuine care rather than expectation. Imagine feeling completely satisfied and content with your life just as it is. Who wouldn’t want this? This is the enjoyment of non-attachment."

Sheesh, that's a lot of words for a person that had nothing to say, don't you think?

20 comments:

  1. Excellent post, Carole. Hope you won't mind that I share it on Facebook (with attribution, of course). My sentiments exactly -- have been asking myself a lot lately where I want to focus my attention, on the dreck in the world or on the simple, everyday beauty that I live in the midst of. It's so hard not to get caught up in the maelstrom, it's a constant lesson to be HERE now and to breathe in the perfection of what is.
    Happy holidays to you! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Connie. my pleasure for the share! and may peace and equanimity be your constant companions at this turning of this season and always..

      Delete
  2. I liked everything you said and then some. On the note of being at peace...I am about as content as I can be with the simple pleasure of polar fleece sheets! Its all good...your new work has a wonderful feeling of the continued mapping of the heart. Good and Happy Season of peace and joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary Ann! Polar fleece sheets, that sounds perfect for these long cool nights! Wishing you the same!

      Delete
  3. It's the quality of the words that counts.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best of the season to you, Colette! Hope you're not snowed in.

      Delete
  4. many x's and o's flying your way and a few zz's to round out the winter days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Talk about holiday madness! However this post has done much to slow me down for a few moments of calm. Your paintings and thoughts about healing, the quote and visions of walking through cool forests .... just perfect. Thanks Carole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Robyn! Wishing you many quiet, healing moments this season and always.

      Delete
  6. Nice heart paintings - they really speak to me - something about limitless possibilities. Much more peaceful resting in the heart than in the brain. Wishing you joy and peace and not too many power outages :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, I nearly called this second painting "snow branches" ! I think really, that is what it wants to be called!

      Peace and good wishes of the season to you! Hope your island times are without power failure too. Some day we will have to have an island coffee!

      Delete
  7. Thank you. This moved me. Delighted by the Rinpoche's quote, and like David above I think the paintings are exquisite – they capture something of the deep quiet of winter and the still heart...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roselle for stopping by and leaving your kind words. Rinpoche does seem have the ability to cut to the chase! Happy winter days to you!

      Delete
  8. your thoughts come through in your paintings - wonderful - wishing you peace and love in these last days of 2012 and an amazing new year xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. picturing you in that cute little town of Pt Townsend, in that fine studio with the holiday ambience in the streets below. thanks as always for you presence here and on your blog! I am always inspired by your work and your thoughts. Wishing you the best the holiday season has to offer and good health and happy painting in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, the news this past week.. devastating and sad news right before xmas has been disheartening and to read your words - healing words at the right time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wishing us all a leap into a more wholesome future! Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love these pruning shears you have! I have so few neurons left I have decided not to risk pruning any more but rather shall take up shearing wool for gathering.

    Have a warm and cozy celebration of life, shifting ever shifting towards love, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Carole, as usual your post has given me much to think about. I like the quote about clear intentions, and I'm wondering if I really have any. Craving absolutely nothing would certainly be a worthy goal, and it's one that I attempt to work toward, as part of right mind. (If my mind worked better, it might help! haha) What you said about the recent events and indigenous people showing the way made me think of Reuters best photos of the year. As you scroll down, the 7th photo popped into my head right way. Peace to you for the holidays and always.
    http://blogs.reuters.com/fullfocus/2012/11/30/best-photos-of-the-year-2012/#a=1

    ReplyDelete